By Dominique Jando
Andrey Mantchev was born December 1, 1982 in Sofia, Bulgaria, the youngest of three brothers in a family that had nothing to do with the circus or show business in general. His father was a driver in the military, his mother a secretary in the civil service. He started training in gymnastics at the age of six and soon participated in international junior competitions. When he was 14, he was spotted by the Boichanovi Troupe, Nikolai Boichanov's famous group of teeterboardA seesaw made of wood, or fiberglass poles tied together, which is used to propel acrobats in the air. acrobats, who were looking for a lightweight flyerAn acrobat that is propelled in the air, either in a flying act, or in an acrobatic act (i.e. teeterboard). to jump atop their human pyramids. And so, in 1997, Andrey joined the award-winning troupe and discovered the circus world—and he never looked back.
The Boichanovi were in fact reaching the end of their illustrious career. They made their farewell season at the Big Apple Circus, in the U.S., in 1999-2000. The Big Apple Circus offered to let Andrey remain with them as a member of its resident company. He performed there from 2001 to 2013 in a wide variety of acrobatic acts, notably several hand-to-handAn acrobatic act in which one or more acrobats do hand-balancing in the hands of an under-stander. balancing acts with Virgile Peyramaure, an acrobatic dance act with Regina Dobrovitskaya and Luciano Anastasini's dogs, solo hand-balancing and swinging trapeze acts, and several animal acts with Jenny Vidbel. After leaving the Big Apple Circus at the end of its 2012-2013 season, Andrey moved to Las Vegas.
- Video: Andrey Mantchev with the Boichanovi Troupe, in the Big Apple Circus production of Bello & Friends (1999)
- Video: R. Dobrovitskaya, V. Peyramaure, A. Mantchev, V. Yanovskis, Comedy acrobatic act, in the Big Apple Circus production of Dreams of a City, 2002.
- Video: The Big Apple Circus Company, pyramids on horseback, in the Big Apple Circus production of Dreams of a City (2002)
- Video: Virgile Peyramaure & Andrey Mantchev, Hand-to-hand Balancing, in the Big Apple Circus production of Carnevale! (2003)
- Video: Andrey Mantchev, Virgile Peyramaure & Valdis Yanovskis (Acrobatic Act) in the Big Apple Circus production of Picturesque (2004)
- Video: Andrey Mantchev & Virgile Peyramaure, Comedy Hand-to-Hand, in the Big Apple Circus production of Grandma Goes To Hollywood (2005)
- Video: Andrey Mantchev, Regina Dobrovitskaya and Anastasini's dogs in the Big Apple Circus production of Bello Is Back! (2009)
- Video: Andrey Mantchev, hand-balancing act, in the Big Apple Circus production of Dance On! (2010)
- Video: Andrey Mantchev & Jenny Vidbel, mixed animals act, in the Big Apple Circus production of Dream Big (2011)